By The Inspirer staff
The operation to defeat an attack at 14 Riverside Drive where suspected Al-Shabab psalmist terrorists launched an attack that claimed lives of 14 lives is over, Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta has said.
Addressing the nation on Wednesday, Uhuru said the security operation ended at about 9.30am.
“…the security operation at Dusit is over and all the terrorists have been eliminated. As of this moment, we have confirm that 14 innocent lives were lost with others injured,” he said.
“We have dealt with the threat and showed the world that we are ready to deal with any threat to our nation. I commend the civilians who look out for one another,” he said.
Uhuru said Kenya is grieving, adding that his heart goes out to innocent women and men violated by the senseless violence.
“We wish the injured quick recovery. We are a country governed by laws and rules and regulations. We believe in these principles even in the face of adversity,” he said.
He said that Kenya will seek out every person involved in the funding, planning and execution of the heinous attack, adding that they will pursue them relentlessly.
“Multiple security efforts are underway to disrupt and defeat terrorist attack. We are on high alert and shall remain so,” he said.
“All visitors and Kenyans” You are safe in Kenya.”
Uhuru commended the fighting teams for neutralising the attackers and those Kenyans who helped in the process.
He said they will not allow anyone to frustrate Kenyan’s efforts to bring security to Kenya.
“We have prevailed and shall always prevail, let us go back to work and continue with the task of building our nation,” he said.
Earlier, a police boss told the media that all attackers at the 14 Riverside drive had been killed.
According to the official, there were five gunmen killed by Recce Squad and the suicide bomber who blew himself up during the Tuesday blast.
There was gunfire on the seventh floor of DusitD2 Hotel on Riverside drive at 6am, raising fears that terrorists could still be in the building holding people hostage.
A source told the Star his relative was among 50 people evacuated by security forces at 4am on Wednesday morning.
Among the people rescued by security forces are a top politician’s son and former Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale’s daughter.
4,882 total views, 1 views today